Tips for skin positivity
By Ellen Parker
Skin positivity is thinking about your skin in a way that makes you feel good about yourself.
This is simple enough, but can be a lot trickier if you're struggling with acne, scars or other skin concerns.
Whatever skin concerns you have, it's how you feel that matters the most. Scientific studies have found that when you feel happy and relaxed, your skin actually looks more radiant.
So, we've put together a few tips to help you think about your skin concerns in a more positive way, so you can feel more confident about yourself and bring out your inner glow!
Battling acne is upsetting and infuriating, especially when things you try don't work.
Here are a few things you can do to help you feel better about your breakouts.
- Remember it's not just you. Even though it can often feel like you're the only one without clear skin, it's not true at all. According to the NHS, 95% of people will suffer with acne to an extent at some point in their lives.
- It's not your fault. Everyone has an opinion about what causes acne and the truth is no-one really knows. We know it's more complicated than just washing your face and drinking more water. You know what's best for your skin and you're most likely already doing all the right things.
- You're still beautiful. Not having clear skin doesn't mean everything, although it can often feel like it. Remember that you will always notice your breakouts more than anyone else. List 3 things you like about the way you look (e.g. your hair, eyes etc) and write them down somewhere you can access easily (like the notes section of your phone). Read them whenever you're feeling down about your acne.
- Take it back to basics. It can be tempting to get carried away using lots of different products on your skin and over-applying spot treatments. Although treatments can be helpful, it can sometimes do more harm than good if you use too many. Sometimes it's best to use a soap free wash like 'Simple Refreshing Daily Face Wash' and a natural Anti-blemish serum, which won't irritate your skin.
So you've finally got rid of your acne, but now you're left with the aftermath.
This can often feel like less of a problem than active breakouts, but can sometimes feel worse, as they can be more permanent.
Here are some things to help you feel better about your acne scars:
- Don't compare yourself to others. Remember that flawless skin does not exist. The images you see online are normally filtered, in great lighting and often digitally altered. No-one's skin in real life looks like that.
- Turn negative thoughts into positive ones. Instead of seeing your scars as a problem which needs to be eliminated, try looking at them as evidence that you got through something and that you survived. Try and think about what this has taught you, such as resilience and mental strength.
- Imperfections are normal and beautiful! Nobody's perfect and it's natural and human for skin not to look perfect. Try to view your scars as unique - they're part of you and your story. After all, life would be incredibly dull if everyone was perfect all the time.
Wrinkles and Fine Lines
Wrinkles and fine lines are a natural part of life, but so many women find them hard to accept, and you shouldn't feel bad about this.
We are constantly bombarded with anti-wrinkle products, making us think that our skin shouldn't age, which is not just ridiculous but actually unnatural.
Here are 5 new ways to think about your wrinkles:
- The more you smile, the more wrinkles you have. Wrinkles are actually just evidence that you've lived your life. Ask yourself this, would you rather have smiled more in your life or have less wrinkles?
- Every single person in the world will get wrinkles. Remember that as much as you might feel surrounded by young, smooth skin, it's just not true. Everyone gets older and wrinkles are part of this.
- Wrinkles are natural and beautiful! Try to see your wrinkles as a badge of honour. An achievement for reaching the age you are. Ageing is a privilege and wrinkles are a way of showing that.
Check out our most popular content
IS THE FLAWLESS SKIN YOU SEE
HOW TO TACKLE THE ANTI-WRINKLE MINEFIELD
Join the 47 CLUB for new videos, blogs and discount codes and start feeling great about your skin!
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
©2020 Copyright 47 Skin. All rights reserved